I'm sure most people would agree that the meaning of Valentine's Day changes drastically once you have children. Even the way we celebrate is different than in the past. I don't know about you but I have to say my favourite Valentines are the ones my little guys make for me themselves with their daddy every year!
With all the talk about love and relationships at this time of year, it makes me think about all the things I love and cherish about my family. I'd like to think I am grateful for them year round but things get busy and hectic and sometimes these little things that I adore so much get taken for granted. It was difficult to narrow this list down but here are my favourite things about my family.
10. Being Silly. I grew up in house where we laughed all the time. Mostly we were just laughing at each other but I always remember finding something funny in everyday events. I find these moments now with my own family priceless. Silliness is always encouraged in our house!
9. Going for walks. In the summer the boys take their bikes and in the winter they put on their snow suits and we pull them in the sled. Anytime of the year I love taking walks with my family and holding hands with my main man!
8. Rainy Days. These aren't fun for most people but I love any excuse to keep my pajamas on all day and snuggle up on the couch and watch movies with the gang!
7. Singing in the car. We always have music in the car and even though it is a selection of Fred Penner, Disney Junior songs or Fisher-Price tunes, we know all the words and we love to sing them!
5. Toboganning. This is something I never liked as a child myself so when my boys were old enough to go my husband was so excited to take them. I considered staying home and taking advantage of an empty house but the excitement on their faces made me want to go with them - even if it was only to take some good pictures. I can't remember ever having so much fun while being so cold! I am now the person jumping up and down with excitement at the threat of a snow storm.!
4. Dinnertime. As a child we always ate as a family at the dinner table and it is something I still feel very strongly about. We live such busy lives and I love being able to count on at least that time together each day. My husband and I always ask lots of questions about the boys day and ask them their favourite things about each day. They usually talk more than they eat and dinner is usually an hour long but it is one of the most valuable hours of my day.
3. Sunday Morning Breakfast. Sunday is a dedicated family day and it always starts with the boys choosing what we will eat for breakfast. Sometimes we make it together and sometimes we go out but it almost always involves pancakes!
2. Bedtime. Not always for the obvious reason but for the special time together right before the boys go to bed. Ian and Justin each choose a story and we cuddle up together and read them. They smell so good after just having a bath and they love sitting in my lap (it gets more and more difficult as they get bigger) and listening to daddy and I read the stories. I kiss their faces until they ask me to stop and then I close their doors and hope they have sweet dreams!
1. Morning Snuggles. This is by far my favourite moment of every day. Each morning the boys get up around 7 and come running into our bed. They jump up in between my husband and I and put their little cold feet on our backs to warm them up. We stay there for about 30 minutes giggling and watching cartoons until we have to get up and start our day. I think it is the thing I will miss the most when my boys are all grown up and I make a point of appreciating how special those moments are every morning. And then the chaos begins!
Things change so quickly and I am excited to see what this list will look like for me next year!