Wednesday, January 8, 2014

I Don't Want To Be a Hockey Mom

I know, I know, these are the last words people want to hear, and usually the last words any Canadian mother of two boys would ever say out loud, however, no truer words have ever been spoken.



I thought maybe as my boys got older I would come around to the idea of watching them play a sport that is so important to our culture.  I thought that the influence of other parents who actually get excited to head to the arena early on a Saturday morning in hopes that their child will score the winning goal would entice me.  I thought that "well all the other kids are doing it" might sway me.  Alas, I DO NOT WANT TO BE A HOCKEY MOM!

I have played it by ear up until this point and always said that I would never keep my kids from doing something they really wanted to do (within reason, of course).  Although they watch hockey on t.v. because Daddy and I are hockey fans, they have never asked to play themselves.  So I have never brought it up.  We take them to their cousin's hockey games, we go to Ice Dogs games but they have never asked to play.  So I have never brought it up.

I have had this discussion with many people and I get the same response that I got from my parents when I told them that I don't want to be a hockey mom - "They are Canadian...what do you mean they aren't going to play hockey?!"

Am I selfish for not wanting to spend my spare time in a freezing cold arena?  I am being a helicopter parent for being afraid of my kids breaking the very same teeth I make them work so hard at cleaning everyday?  Am I being over sensitive for not wanting to listen to the ridicule of other kids and parents as they scream (as if the kids can really hear them) "get the puck!"

Now don't get me wrong, I love watching my friends beam with pride when they give me the play-by-play of their kids' latest goal.  I even love going to the arena to watch my nephew play hockey on a Sunday afternoon with the whole family (on occasion).  But making the commitment for my own children is just something that I can't get on board with. 

My husband once said that he would take them to all of the hockey practices and games and I would never have to do a thing.  It was tempting for about a second but I know in reality if my kids decided they really wanted to play and made it clear to me that it was important to them, you better believe that I will be at every game and be their biggest cheerleader and I will wear a team colour mom scarf and they will never know how I felt at one time when my kids playing hockey was the most dreaded thing in the world to me. 

So the question is, am I depriving my children of an important skill if I don't put them in hockey while they are young?  Am I ruining their chances of playing if they decide they want to when they are older?  Am I unpatriotic for not encouraging my boys to participate in our national sport?


 

I guess time will tell but for now I will enjoy the warmth of the indoors and venture into the cold at a time of day that suits me.  But if you see me in the stands at the Four Pad with my Timmies in hand and the biggest, proudest grin on my face, you will know that two very persuasive little boys made a very compelling argument on the sport of hockey.

5 comments:

  1. Love this post! I never thought I would enjoy being a hockey mom although I knew I would be one. Let the kids take the lead. My oldest has played mini sticks since he was less than 2 years old, so we knew it would be in our future one way or another. It really is fun and becomes a family. But you have to embrace it because yes it is cold arenas, lots of driving, and lugging heavy bags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm converted. As of tonight both boys will be playing- one a little more serious and on a league team, but the older one is taking Hockey Lessons at 10...never too late to just do it for fun. Yes I hate the early Saturday mornings, but I'll never get tired of the look on my kid's face! Plus, I'm in charge of ringing the cow bell for every team goal! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 3 brothers never played hockey in their life. We grew up in a small northern-ish town and they never suffered for it. One of them is into ice fishing and camping, another plays basketball regularly and the other one isn't that sporty. Not a necessary thing for a Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and my husband knows that if our son does get into hockey that he is doing all of the Saturday morning malarkey.

    ReplyDelete