Friday, December 13, 2013

Scholastic Mama Book Club!

We talk all the time about the importance of mamas taking time for themselves.  We don't do it often enough and I think for many it seems a bit selfish when there are so many other important things calling our names and taking up our precious time.

I have spent most of my "reading" time over the last year reading books that will help my business and didn't realize until recently how much I enjoy sitting down and reading a fun, light, fictional novel.

Our mama book club chose the book "The Raven Boys" by Maggie Stiefvater which was provided by Scholastic Canada, our literacy partner.  I really loved how the story began to unravel right from the first chapter.  The characters were interesting and relateable, even though some were merely teenagers.

There is magic, the supernatural, mother/daughter strife, and what novel would be complete without the promise of  true love.

http://www.scholastic.ca/books/view/the-raven-cycle-1-the-raven-boys


I often find myself spending the last bit of my day in front of the television in an attempt to unwind and transition from busy daytime activities to going to sleep.  These last few weeks I have spent this time reading this book and remembering how much I love to read before bed.  I fall asleep much easier (without my husband having to wake me up and turn off the television) and I have even been going to sleep a little earlier.  I have also been so captured by the book that I have taken breaks during my day to squeeze in a chapter.

Sometimes as moms we forget to take those little breaks that can really help us reboot during our hectic days.  Taking those quiet moments to ourselves can help us have more focus when things are a bit crazy and when life gets chaotic.  Those breaks don't always have to come in the form of a whole day at a spa, or a two hour bubble bath (that would probably involve a little person yelling outside the door anyhow) but may be just a few stolen moments to get a chapter in before it's time to start dinner.
 Although I took my time reading the book, most of our mamas were finished just days after opening it...they said they couldn't put it down.

Reading this book was a good reminder that life shouldn't always be just work and family.  There should be at least a few minutes everyday that we dedicate to something maybe not so linked to our reality. 

I am really looking forward to reading Maggie Stiefvater's next book...next mama book club book?


No comments:

Post a Comment